Gulfstream Park Easter: Baby Steps

 


Not that too much track action on this Easter Sunday. But there is opportunity in Race 9 on April the Ninth 2023 at Gulfstream Park where we have an Optional Claimer $20K non winners of one, except for yadda yadda. Mike Welsh said it's an evenly matched group. Very, very true. I couldn't really sort them.

The filter revolved around likely early pace - in a short sprint. Then consistent Beyers, and highest Beyers, and others' picks considered.

 I did surmise that the early pace would include Baby Steps, some competition, and two steady very capable of lurking as midpackers. [Meet me at the beach and Clouded Heir. In terms of come from behinders, Musical Design would seem to fit that bill, and not from far behind. It seemed to me that he would be the favorite being this is trainer Wesley Ward’s specialty. It's a 5 Furlong turf race. However, he didn't get any selection among the professional punters. I came up with Baby Steps - I did have to give some consideration to meet me at the beach and Clouded Heir - but I kind of went with Kenny Peck’s choice, which was Baby steps, as I’d seem Peck on a bit of a streak yesterday.

Baby Steps had the highest Beyer and the only other with such good consistent Beyers belonged to Musical Design, the rest were more iffy.

It was a three-horse dogfight in the end with the whole herd clode behind. But our horse prevailed at 5/2, same as Morning Line.



“Plans are worthless, but planning is everything.”

— Dwight D. Eisenhower


Comments