Elizabeth's Way Wins The Nassau Stakes for 2020 at Woodbine



How nice it is to see racing again in the Glorious Dominion of Canada. Woodbine is in action again where the people are courteous and positive (at least compared to where I am at). There are delightful ads for Massey-Ferguson combines (we will use the word again in our story) – that take me back to better days in old Wisconsin, which would be south of border from Canada except for the strange interlopement that is Upper Michigan.

It was a nice day for a Grade 2 stakes – The Nassau for $175,000 on the turf at a mile. Leave us to look at a few of the runners.

#1 Nantucket Red -Trainer does well in Graded Stakes; Jockey Boulanger is an able vet, turf speed was competitive, she is ligible to improve 2nd off the bench, and she stalked gamely and rallied in last.

#6 Malakeh runs for hot Graham Motion barn, had fastest speed in last race, which she won off layoff, at Churchill.

#2 Another Time which won her last (bettering Nantucket Red by 2 lengths, but exerting herself in the process). Trainer has not yet done too well at this level, but is having a strong early meet.

#5 Elizabeth’s Way (Ire) for Canadian Legend Roger Attfield, who switched to high % rider Emma-Jayne Wilson (See Wilson below in interview after winning the event).

The lot seemed mostly pretty well matched, and hard to distinguish. I’ve come to avoid Stakes, which I find harder and harder to succeed at. But I remembered how key it seemed so often to be that they had already won a stake in their career.

This qualified Elizabeth’s Way for my weighted bet (along with Nantucket Red – which turned out to be over her head by the three-quarters pole). It turned out there was more... Elizabeth's Way was bred by the vaunted Godophin Stable by Frankel. The horse gradually overtook Another Time. And the stretch won was thrilling. She came to win by perhaps a half a head.



Remember: Former Stakes performance is a major factor in handicapping Stakes races.

Final results: 4-2-5




This was a really good post-race interview with jockey Emma-Jayne Wilson

Local track reporter  Jason P. asks: "At what point did you realize you had a chance?"

Wilson: "I always thought I had a chance.

... the doors opened and I got into a good position.

[She was surprised not to see Mark Casse's horse (EyeintheSky) out in front. So she thought...]

I could show a little more speed. If they gave me the lead I was going to take it but I was happy to have someone lead her along I mean, she's first time on this turf course and yes she's been around but I mean, when I was warming her up there she gave me a good look at something on the back stretch so I just was happy to have someone just lead her along and when I breezed her the other day same idea we just sat head and head and it kept her focus and kept her on and she just put her nose in front, worked and so I thought she'd grind it down."



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Less fortune for us to be found the day before (June 26) in a $150,000 Optional Claiming event – Race 8 at Churchill Downs, now winding down toward the end of an abbreviated (COVID-19-era) meet. The 1-mile turf race pitted a good bunch that included familiar names like Dr Mounty, Mr. Misunderstood, Mr. Dumas, Spectacular Gem and Snapper Sinclair. Among these Dr Mounty and Mr. Misunderstood got our attention. Many of the contestants came to the race off of long layoffs. And among these were such as Great Wide Open, 7 Trumpets and others that were likely to provide some early speed.

#9 Mr Dumas – a 4 year old - went off as favorite. He won his last in May – an OC $80k, so stepping up, for the hot jockey-trainer combo of Tyler Gaflionne and Mike Maker. Had high Brisnet number in last.

#10 Snapper Sinclair – a 5 year old -- was top money winner, garnering over $1m, and found a field he might best. But he has been 0-5 this year, and needs a perfect set up to triumph.

#3 Mr Misunderstood – a 6 year old – could well have been the favorite. He had showed good works, and this was his 2nd off the layoff, following an event where I thought he competed nicely. Trainer Brad Cox wins at a 28% clip in some situations.

#4 Dr Mounty – now a 7 year old – was also second off a layoff for Chug McGaugey, and had showed a new gear in his last, not tarrying at the start as is sometimes his want.

#5 Spectacular Gem – a 4 year old – steps up in this race, comes in off good works but a four month layoff, for a trainer with whom I am not familiar. Spectacular Gem (a pretty spectacular name, that!) will win by more than 2 lengths, and pay $33. (Now I know the trainer’s name: James Baker.

The final order was 5-3-9.

My selections were #3 (weighted) and #4. And I used #9 Both the Dr and the Mounty Mr lagged too far early – Dr Mounty went back to his usual ways. Tho the fact is Mr Misunderstood was somewhat hindered early, and, as he got second, may have been best of the bunch. His second was some minor consolation to my bankroll – my ticket had too many failed exotics.

I was surprised to hear analyst Andy Serling say these (3, 4, 9) were the logical choices – at least I didn’t see Dr Mounty in such a favorable light, tho the race on paper said today could be one of his days. Serling post race opined that too many of the jockeys ceded an easy lead to Spectacular Gem, which more or less led from the start. I will buy that. - B.B.


''If you don't play you can't win.”– Common Wisdom

Comments